TACOS WITH CORN & TOMATO SALSA
Minutes it takes to cook: 30
Number of people it serves: 10-12
Steps to make the recipe: 8
1 x 400 g can Lucky Star Pilchards in Sweet Chilli Sauce
Vegetable oil, for frying
1 small onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
4 tortillas/wraps (or a pack of 10 soft-shell tacos)
½ iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 baby red cabbage, shredded
1 avocado, pitted and sliced
Handful fresh coriander leaves
1 x 410 g can whole kernel corn
2 spring onions, finely sliced
2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
1 small handful fresh coriander, chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
½ Tbsp (7.5 ml) olive oil
1. Drain the pilchards and separate them. Reserve the sauce.
2. Heat a little of the oil in a saucepan, and add the onion, garlic and cumin. Cook until softened and browned.
3. Add the sauce from the pilchard can, the salt and pepper and stir until slightly reduced.
4. Remove from heat, add half the lemon juice and gently stir into the pilchards. Set aside and keep warm.
1. If using larger tortillas or wraps, cut out 3 x 9-cm tacos from each. In a clean, dry frying pan, heat the tacos until slightly browned and puffed up but not crispy. Lay out on a clean surface.
2. To each taco add a handful of shredded lettuce and red cabbage and a few slices of avocado.
3. Top with a spoonful each of the pilchard mixture and salsa. Garnish with coriander leaves.
1. Drain and rinse the corn. Mix together the spring onions, corn, tomatoes, coriander, chilli, remaining lemon juice and zest. Stir in the olive oil and serve with the fish tacos.
Anonymous. (2019). TACOS WITH CORN & TOMATO SALSA. [Blog]. TACOS WITH CORN & TOMATO SALSA. Available at: https://luckystar.co.za/